The Kinect 3D Video Capture Project is free software, distributed under the GNU General Public License. To build and install the software, refer to the included README file. The process is usually as simple as "make," but some minor changes might have to be made according to the target operating system. The tarballs contain README files with rudimentary build and use instructions; please read them.
The tarballs available for download below will expand into Kinect-<release> directories in the current directory. All downloadable files are tagged with their SHA1 checksums to protect against corruption and tampering.
This software is based on the Vrui toolkit, version numbers as indicated below.
Obsolete packages, archived for historical reasons:
- Kinect-3.2 (252KB) (SHA1=ec66e9c085dc3b16e91b24a8f53ef1e4e340505f) Requires Vrui-4.2-001 or newer. Contains experimental support for second-generation Kinect-for-Xbox-One, and support for Intel RealSense cameras through Intel's librealsense library.
- Kinect-2.8-002 (196KB) (SHA1=9992eb141d5444b34cd69671b4c05d745b007719) Requires Vrui-3.1-004 or newer. Contains new sphere-based extrinsic calibration tool for multiple Kinects, and fixes time synchronization in recorded multi-camera 3D video files.
- Kinect-2.8-001 (164KB) (SHA1=4ba77ccdd9cd2d143f3fed19226fb70b5525d9d1) Requires Vrui-3.1-001 or newer. Contains a fixed Kinect udev rule file (note below no longer applies), and a new 3D measurement tool for RawKinectViewer.
- Kinect-2.8 (164KB) (SHA1=ff8c71f732c9dc2d13054ff7b44bf7c163cb7ae3) Requires Vrui-3.1-001 or newer. First version of Kinect package to support newer Kinect-for-Xbox devices (model number 1473) and Kinect-for-Windows (model number 1517) devices.
Note: The udev rule file distributed with version 2.8 of the Kinect package, which is supposed to allow non-root users to access the Kinect camera, only works for the initial version of the Kinect-for-Xbox (model number 1414). If you have a newer-version Kinect-for-Xbox (model number 1473) or a Kinect-for-Windows (model number 1517), please download this updated rule file (SHA1=083cd0f032b74428315150388d8f37e0929c9c14) and copy it into your /etc/udev/rules.d/ directory:
$ sudo cp <download location>/70-Kinect.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
After installing the rule file, activate it by either
- running the udev administration utility with the following commands:
$ sudo udevadm control --reload
$ sudo udevadm trigger --action=change
- or unplugging and re-plugging the Kinect camera
- or rebooting your computer.
- Kinect-2.7 (149KB) (SHA1=af7219ff8879f0c0859c4328265ebf226e6bfdfc) Requires Vrui-3.0-001 or newer.
- Kinect-2.5 (140KB) (SHA1=b16da8d5ecfcd578c6863e5adea380e0afd47ecf) Requires Vrui-2.7-001 or newer.
- Kinect-2.4 (130KB) (SHA1=d7df484db17a4b41043ab24a733b7dbde4fb75c7) Requires Vrui-2.6-001 or newer.
- Kinect-2.2 (125KB) (SHA1=676d705ed986572369c21daef146c694ba5dac20) Requires Vrui-2.4-001 or newer.
- Kinect-2.1 (125KB) (SHA1=0bfb5457867d6de94f4a3ee5d4dea1dadaf9d414) Requires Vrui-2.4-001 or newer.
- Kinect-2.0 (106KB) (SHA1=91435ddd2f9390294c4034cf76029fb145e995cc) Requires Vrui-2.2-003 or newer.